Saturday, 31 March 2012

Are there any compensations to the costs of awakening to the jihad threat?

I have definitely become far more miserable and pessimistic since becoming acquainted with the core imperialistic doctrines of Islam and discovering how these are being played out in the world today. I have become more isolated; more aware of the weaknesses of my fellow citizens; more hostile to Muslims and to those who seem determined to protect them at all costs; I find the sight of Muslims more and more unbearable; I dread the future and fear for that of my children; I feel that all that is most precious in the world is under increasing threat from the impending darkness of islamic cultural hegemony. So are there any compensations to this grim state?

Surprisingly, the answer is yes. I do feel more in touch with some core sense of personal integrity. I feel that I am at least trying to do something honourable for my children, my country and my civilisation; indeed, not just for my civilisation but for the very principles of civilisation.

I feel that I have a much better appreciation of what previous generations of people went through when they were faced with this threat. (I think this is something the Left just cannot see. They don't really believe in external threats, they appear to believe at some level that it is always we who are the threat to others.)  I think that facing up to the reality of the threat, however painful it may be, does take one a step closer to authenticity. All those people that I see around me who are relatively blind or naive do give me a sense of having greater awareness. Although that of which I am aware is not so great it is nonetheless awareness of something very important.

I also gain a tremendous sense of purpose from my opposition to islam. When you take the trouble to examine islam you begin to understand that it is not just another religion from which people derive meaning in their lives, you can see that it is a very twisted and tyrannical force that has millions of people in its grip; it is not really doing them any good because it is corrupting and reducing them as human beings; and, it threatens to do the same things to ever more of us. Opposing islam is to oppose evil. To have that clarity is to have a clear sense of purpose.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, once again you've expressed feelings that I can relate to 100%. I too have become more miserable and pessimistic, and more than once have been reduced to wailing to my close friends, "All this time, I thought our fellow liberals valued things like truth and honesty and being courageous enough to face hard facts -- I had no idea..." (I'm fortunate in that most of my close friends, though they also identify as liberals, believe me when I tell them the things I've learned. So there are some liberals who are more open-minded than others. They're the ones who will listen to me complain about the other lot.)

    But I think there are a lot of compensations. I feel much the same as you -- a sense of purpose and determination to do whatever my part may be in defense of civilization, and a deep gratitude to have been born into this, the most remarkable civilization humankind has yet created. It's as if the scales have fallen from my eyes and suddenly I can appreciate the richness of our heritage.

    There's another compensation that comes with being honest with oneself. It feels so much better than twisting oneself in knots to avoid thinking about things. For example, many liberals want to interpret opposition to Islamization as racism. If you try to talk about what's frightening about sharia law, they want to talk about racism and white paranoia. If you buy into that analysis, it becomes hard to even think straight, because you don't trust your own thoughts. There's a deep peace that comes with being very clear about one's feelings and priorities.

    For example, when I watch videos of Arab ex-Muslims like Wafa Sultan or Mosab Hasan Yousef passionately defending Western Civilization in rapid-fire Arabic, or when I listen to a lecture by Brigitte Gabriel or Zuhdi Jasser, I feel a sense of comfort and safety, a visceral sense that "These are our people." If the battle for civilization came down to physical fighting, I'd gladly man the barricades next to any of them. Whereas white jihadists like the Tsernaevs or Adam Gedahn scare me. If I listen to PC propagandists, my instinctive reactions become something to censor or overcome, because PC propaganda requires that my feelings be interpreted as irrational reactions to racial differences. Whereas listening to my gut makes it all clear and simple. I'm not frightened by people with dark skin and hair, nor by people who speak Arabic. I'm frightened by people who espouse evil ideologies.

    I think this is similar to what you were saying about a core of personal integrity. For me, there's also a feeling of relief like, "Thank God, I don't have to twist my brain around like a pretzel or doubt my feelings or censor my own instincts." I can just ask my gut and my heart how these different people make me feel, and I feel very comfortable with the answer I get. I think that's one huge compensation for the misery that comes with waking up. -- Bradamante

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Bradamante. I meant to spend a bit more time on this post but I never got around to it. You have expressed many of the things that need to be said. Like you, I feel I have gained more authenticity; I feel both more certainty in my individual humanity and more a part of humanity in general - but particularly with the victims of jihad, both past and present.

    ReplyDelete